Wednesday 19 September 2012

Minding My Own Business.

I have just noticed that there is a big gap between the title and where the writing starts. Sorry about that.

Here I am again. I think the gap is gone now.

This is me writing on my old computer with a new hard drive installed. Everything is different. I thought what would happen is that I would have a new hard drive and everything would be improved but the same if you know what I mean. It might be improved, but it is not the same. Even this blog browser might not be compatible, whatever that means. I have reinstalled google chrome because that is what it was before, but to tell the truth I just haven't a clue what it all means. Anyway if I suddenly disappear in a puff of smoke, you will understand why.

Here is a picture of Mac the puppy with Sadie the German Shepherd. Doesn't he look cute. Do not be deceived. He is a handful to look after. I think his owner comes back from holiday on Monday. I might last out until then. Sadly she may not be able to keep him. It seems that she is allergic to him. I also think I might be allergic too. I woke up this morning with my eyes streaming and full of the snuffles. I am not prone to allergies, and things cleared up when we went for a walk. Doesn't seem too promising does it?

On our walk today, we crossed through the park and I was hailed by a woman. "Excuse me," she called, "You should have that dog on a lead."
Mac was on his lead. Sadie was walking free beside us. We were all minding our own business. "Who says so," I shouted back.

"It's because of the dog fouling problem," she says, drawing nearer.

"Look here," I say, immediately going on the offensive, " I don't have a dog fouling problem, if my dog makes a mess I clean it up". I take a handful of plastic bags out of my pocket and show them to her. "Anyway, when did this rule come into effect? I haven't heard anything about it. I have been walking dogs here for thirty years and no one has ever told me to have my dogs on a lead before."

I have to admit to having a bit of a problem with people who tell me what I can or cannot do. I think it is a bloody cheek. To my way of thinking they are saying I am an idiot who doesn't know how to behave. I was on my high horse and I think she was taken aback by my grumpy reaction.

"There is a notice on the fence over there," she said.

"Well it wasn't there yesterday," I said, "And it wasn't there the day before and it wasn't there thirty years ago when I first walked a dog here. So whoever put it there can, as far as I'm concerned take the bloody notice and shove it where the sun don't shine."

"There is no need to take that attitude," she says, "I was only drawing your attention to it."

"Are you the dog warden?" I ask her.

"No," she says.

"Are you employed by the council to enforce their stupid bye laws?" I ask.

"No." she says.

"Well in that case Madam, I suggest you mind your own business and allow me to continue my walk in peace."

I then went and read the notice. Which had been printed on a computer and put into a plastic see through wallet. It stated: DOGS SHOULD BE KEPT ON A LEAD. It had been stuck on the fence with drawing pins, obviously by someone with a bee in their bonnet. I turned to see the woman looking at me, and tore the notice down and put it in a nearby litter bin.


So you see ladies and gentlemen, although I am fairly laid back about most things. If someone upsets me I can get a little bit irate. I am not always a nice bloke. It's not an age thing, or anything to do with being grumpy. I just don't like to be treated like I'm stupid.

Now to find out if this incompatible browser will let me publish this.









14 comments:

  1. Well the way the sign was written It said "dogs SHOULD be kept on a lead" not "dogs MUST be kept on a lead" which in my opinion although it's suggested it's still totally optional.
    Around here we do have a leash law and all dogs have to be on a lead

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bring the dogs to my 30 acres..let them have a blast..the only signs we have are 'No Hunting'.
    Jane x
    PS I refused to go to Royal Naval dinners because ladies were asked not to wear trousers...I would have worn an evening gown, but who the hell are they to tell me what to wear?

    ReplyDelete
  3. One phrase that sets me off is "Well, you have to understand..." No I don't!

    I agree with you. Do not tell me what to do. A suggestion is always considered but orders do not sit well with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I know where you are coming from. Last year I had a 29 colleague teacher try to tell me how to do my job. I told her I had handbags older than her and she should practice some humility and stop telling grandma how to suck eggs. She probably had to go and look that up because she didn't seem to know what I meant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heehee I enjoyed reading about your altercation with the lady ... Hmmm lady? She sounds like a woman near me who complained because my dog walked on 'her' piece of grass... that is, the grass that councils allow alongside footpaths on the OUTSIDE of the gardens. I gave her what for, same as you did. Keep going with the computer, it will all fall into place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know plenty of 'bitches' that should be on a lead too. I think she was one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you. Lovely photos of Sadie and Mac. It will be such a shame if his owner can't keep him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. His owner will make a decision when back from holiday. In the meantime I am trying not to let my heart rule my head. I am getting very fond of him. And I didn't have the streaming eyes this morning.

      Delete
  9. There are two ends on every lead and some debate over which is dominant. Personally, I too would let one dog run free because I cannot serve two masters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This broad deserved the 'middle finger'.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boy, what a situation to be in. I have a tough time making up my mind on this as I have been in nieghborhoods with no pet laws and they do run amuck. I have been in some where the areas are pristine and that is because of pet laws. When I cared for my sister and the pets, it was all new to me and I appreciated not stepping in poop everywhere and felt safe while walking the dogs because dogs were on leashes controlled by owners.

    ReplyDelete