Monday 29 October 2012

Not A Nice Subject To Write About.

I have just written and deleted a whole blog post. It was about a well known BBC TV presenter who is thankfully now dead. It turns out that this bloke, a knight of the realm (I don't want his name on my blog) was, it has been said by the police, one of the most prolific paedophiles ever. The numbers of kids he abused runs into the hundreds so far, and that could be just the tip of the iceberg. He was also allegedly involved in other disgusting practices.

And do you know what? Many, many people he worked with at the BBC knew of his sordid predilection, and did nothing. The excuses they are coming out with are ridiculous. I won't go into them, you can read about it all over the place at the moment. But basically what it boils down to, is that they didn't want to rock the BBC's boat. In effect, and this is just my opinion, those people were condoning child abuse.

Not only that but it turns out, and this is unbelievable but true, that the police were also aware of this disgusting pervert, having had numerous complaints. But chose to do nothing. Again not wanting to rock the boat, because of the negative effect it would have on the slimy maggot's charitable fundraising. Fundraising which was mainly a front for his paedophilia.

It is all coming out now. The police are making inquiries into other alleged perverts. It seems that other well known 'celebrities' are involved. A lot of people will be shaking in their boots. Good. They will get some idea of the fear an abused child has to endure.

There are some things in the book I recently finished writing that deals with abuse I went through as a child, and this case has given me pause for thought. Some of you may have guessed that I am struggling in my mind about publishing.

My latest thinking is: Suppose people think I am jumping on the bandwagon that this case has already started. What I mean is: Child abuse is in the headlines again. There will be books and articles coming out of the woodwork. Not that it will make any difference. Nothing will change. I don't want to be part of all that. Even in my own self published little way.

Maybe I am using this as an excuse not to publish? I honestly don't know what I feel. It changes from one day to the next.

I know what doesn't change though. The way society deals with the subject.




10 comments:

  1. appalling that someone could know about such acts and look the other way.
    I don't think that you should let any of this stand in the way of you publishing your book though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This disgusting crime goes on all the time..there is no bandwagon to jump on.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What worries me is that a few sleazy 'celebrities' will be arrested...and the people who authorised his access to hospitals and childrens' homes will go scot free.

    Thereis no bandwaggon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You MUST publish, I agree, there is no bandwagon. I am a great believer in being loud and stopping those behaviours in their tracks. It's the silence that helps these creeps get away with things and win.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You definitely should publish, John.

    The trouble is that in 'his' era females both young and old had to endure the 'approaches' of men. It was common practice to be groped by all and sundry in the workplace and it took many years before the female voice was heard. Children had it particularly bad and nothing ever seemed to be done to protect them. Now the world is appalled and I have often wondered how many escaped punishment. Deb is right when she said it's the silence that helps these creeps get away with things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh John this makes me physically ill there is no excuse to cover up the crimes of these sick people no matter who they are. Those poor kids no doubt are still dealing with this. B

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have has our own scandal in Pennsylvania and other places, It is out there and growing. We need to stand up to it. Publish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could write a book about my own feelings on this subject. I am appalled at the huge numbers of pedophiles (we spell it differently here)being exposed these days. But thank goodness they are. We had a large case in the news recently involving a highly respected football coach and his charity for underprivileged children. He was supposedly being investigated by law enforcement for several years. University officials seem to have covered his "indiscretions". It looks like he had lost other teaching positions for doing the same thing. Even his family, including an adopted son who finally came forward as being a victim, covered for him. Children are considered to be disposable by some and resilient by others. The resiliency is partially true because many of them grow to be productive adults in spite of the abuse and the feelings that never go away.
    Did you know that it only became illegal to mistreat a child in the United States when someone was smart enough to prove that children are animals and therefor protected by animal cruelty laws? "As the Wicked Witch of the East would say, "What a world, what a world."
    You owe it to other children to publish. Perhaps if someone had written about it before you were put in the position, you would not have suffered so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have hope for a world that doesn't condone this-- and that encourages truth telling.

    I know full well that freedom comes in truth telling.
    "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" didn't serve me well.
    I doubt that message has been helpful to any of the victims of abuse.

    Publish.
    You owe it to YOU.
    And if one other human being is encouraged to tell truth because of it--good on them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. John, I agree with the previous comments. There is far too much covering up of these crimes which as we all know have also been committed by those wearing clerical garb as well as u.s. football coaches and the BBC person you referred to which I also read about. Not writing about something does not make it go away, but coming forward brings a greater awareness.

    ReplyDelete