Wednesday 14 March 2012

Don't Mention The War.

Maureen was the prettiest girl I had ever seen. She was really nice too, and even though she looked like a goddess, she didn't seem to realise it. Unlike a lot of girls I knew. She was easy to talk to, and always with a smile on her lovely face.

We were courting, Maureen and I. Well I say courting. What I mean is we had dated a couple of times,and I wished we were courting. I was proud to be seen holding her hand. I knew my mates thought I was a lucky so and so.

We were both about 18 years old. At the time I was working on the ferry service between Aberdeen, Orkney and the Shetland Isles. So I was often in Aberdeen, where she lived.

We had arranged to go to a dance hall in Aberdeen. I couldn't dance to save my life, but it was a good way to spend some time holding her close. Oh my word, she smelled divine, and the softness of her hair against my cheek. I used to think I had died and gone to heaven.

There was a German warship in the harbour. The city council had put the flags out for them. They were given a civic reception. I think it was the first time since the 2nd world war that a German navy vessel had visited. The newspapers were full of it. Blimey! It wasn't so long ago since I spent my time shooting Germans. Only in childish games. I don't mean for real. That was my Dad's job!

When the delectable Maureen and I arrived at the dance hall it was full of young German sailors, in their fancy uniforms. We local lads didn't really stand a chance.

A well scrubbed young sailor approached our table. He stood before Maureen, bowed, and asked her politely in broken English if he might have a dance. Hah! He bowed! What a Dork!

I wouldn't have felt so annoyed about it perhaps, if she had looked to me first, but it was suddenly as if I didn't exist. Maureen was up and swept away in his arms. He could dance too! I expect he'd had dancing lessons the swine!

After she had danced with him several times in a row. I was in despair. I should have challenged him to a duel, but I expect he would have been brilliant at that too.

Honestly, I wasn't the only upset one that night. The local girls were having a ball, the local lads were having a bawl! Anyone would have thought the Germans had won the war!

That was it with Maureen and me. We didn't go out any more but I soon recovered. After all I was a sailor too. I had a girl in the Shetlands, and the Orkney islands! Although that may have been wishful thinking. No it wasn't! I did have girlfriends there. Don't know why I said that.

Apparently, why the girls were so bowled over by the Germans was because they were so well mannered! Bloody nerve of it!

Maureen I forgive you. But how could you do it? Had you forgotten that they bombed our fish and chip shop?

Not to worry. I'm over it. Almost!

8 comments:

  1. So acting like a hero in a romance book obviously really worked! IMHO this is something they ought to teach at school but they never will, for obvious reasons :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to forget a broken heart or a bombed fish and chips shop

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys never seem to get over the softness and nice smell. Some of us never had that and most of us lose it with age. I think you should get over it (just kidding- sort of)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It worked the other way round as well. I had a German mother and an English father.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's no accounting for taste. How could Maureen fall for such outright deception in the pretense of charm. As you say you recovered and moved on as any true gentleman would do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you haven't thought about this much, John, but from your post it seems like it was just the other day. Imagine those German sailors being courteous and able to dance too!

    ReplyDelete