Tuesday 26 February 2013

High Visibility.

There are so many people wearing Hi Vis (High Visibility) clothing these days that instead of being protective they are in real danger of distracting us all from a safe life. Not only that but for some reason they are starting to effect my stomach. They are so garishly bright I feel sick every time I see one. Actually that is the problem, you never see one in isolation. On the way home tonight it looked like every other person was wearing one. It was still daylight, and they were on the footpath! Perhaps they think that I might feel like driving home on the footpath, and will run over anyone in normal clothing? The world has gone mad!
A Hi Vis jacket with added reflective strips. Why?
Look for crying out loud you blokes, what is going on? If you can't go out without a dayglo bleedin' jacket maybe you should stay indoors. At least you would be safe there.

Some of these Hi Vis jackets even have reflective strips on them too, just to really annoy me.. It's a Hi Vis jacket for God's sake! How noticeable do you need to be? Reflective bleedin' strips on a Hi Vis jacket! Can't you see that is utter madness?

I live near the open prison, and it looks like all the prisoners have been issued with them too. If there was ever a mass breakout all the prisoners would have to do is mingle with the local Hi Vis community and they would never be found. That's what I mean you see about them losing their effectiveness. Everyone is wearing one.

There is something else I really dislike about Hi Vis jackets. Officials wear them. You give a lowly worker a Hi Vis jacket and he suddenly thinks he is important. I don't like officials. My pet hate among officials is the car park attendant. They were bad enough before the Hi Vis jacket was invented, but now they are a bleedin' nightmare. When I see a parking warden with a Hi Vis I'm afraid all I have in mind is what a good target they make.

I will concede that they might have been helpful when only the police, or paramedics wore them, but now everyone looks like a policeman. It is bloody annoying having to slam on my brakes every time I see one. That is it again you see. They are no longer effective because everyone is wearing them.

Here is a Hi Vis, but it is only half a Hi Vis! What is the point? Maybe it is designed for someone who spends his life sticking his upper body out of manholes in the road?

Please stop wearing them you blokes, it is getting out of hand and you look stupid. Oh and by the way I have noticed that more women are wearing them now. Big mistake ladies. I promise you, yes, your arse does look big in it. Enormous in fact, and extremely bleedin' visible!


17 comments:

  1. Hilarious! I would rather see them than not. I hate driving around a curve or corner on a road to have idiots in dark clothing, at night, walking along the road! That is scary and we know, I'd be the one getting sued if I hit a pedestrian. Jeeze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Either I don't pay attention or we don't have that many wearing them over here, other than Firemen. But now if I start seeing them all over just because I'm more aware, I'm going to blame you John!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obviously a trend set by survivors of accidents who should have been wearing helmets --and something to fill them with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, lucky this trend did not reach my country. I do see some but only when they are on bicycle or bike late at night etc. Happy blogging to you and have a good day

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems to me that they could find a hi visibility color that is not that awful yellow color. How about a bright blue or hot pink?

    ReplyDelete
  6. If we see high vis jackets...we run them over..they are worn by hunters.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen these occasionally in my neighborhood, but they're usually justified. People want to go for a walk or ride bikes along the side of the road, and there are no sidewalks or bike paths near my house. Of course, if it were me, I'd just turn around and go home before it got dark.

    If everybody wears a high-visibility jacket though, then everyone is of equal visibility, which sort of defeats the purpose. Hmm... So now if I wore a low-visibility black jacket, would I stand out? I wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have a man in the village who is a prison warden, he walks his dog wearing his hi vis jacket. And Graham the church gardener wears one when he is mowing the grass. Don't know why, is anyone going to run over him in the church yard, ha ha. I have got a hi vis vest, to wear when on my bike. Lots of idiot drivers round here, don't want to get knocked off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh, I hadn't noticed more than one or two men wearing hi vis jackets, and they were genuine workmen on sites. I think they should be essential wear on a dark night though. There's far too many black-clad folk where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a very good point you have made with this post.
    "You give a lowly worker a Hi Vis jacket and he suddenly thinks he is important." Truer words could not be said.
    Trends come and trends go, so I hope that this one will be gone soon, for both of our sakes.
    The high vis wear have now become the norm, and it's a nightmare!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was with you till that last paragraph. If you think I'm making a comment about some woman's arse, well... Very Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some of the big sites I work on I have to waer them. May be it makes me look important? I've just relised that my little picture is of me wearing a hi vis. Is this a personal attack?
    I was always told if you walk round a building site awlways carry some documents and it makes you look imoprtant. If you carry the paper it makes it look like you're going to the toilet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just re read that and I think my keyboard must be playing up (either that or I'm drunk).

    ReplyDelete
  14. High Visibility Clothing is ideal for people working at odd hours like traffic police, night watchman, emergency personnel etc. Such clothing is worn so that workers are easily visible even during bad weather conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's very important and interesting post. As we all know that everything in this world have its own importance and need with some of the drawbacks as well.
    Similarly hi vis clothing are generally used for high visibility and the colors used are very sharp so it may panic some of the viewers. Read more.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is amazing blog about hi vis jackets & more nice info provide by you on this blog thanks for sharing..!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have high visibility collection of garment like high visibility safety vests, high visibility jackets and more.

    ReplyDelete