Saturday 22 October 2011

The Great Escape. Journey South. Part One.

Instinctively I did not take to the woman. There was no kindly greeting, no reassuring smile, just a quick glance sizing me up. Then the ingratiating false niceness directed towards my welfare officer.
The year was 1960. At 13 years old I was a seasoned old pro where foster carers were concerned. There had been several in my life. I had only been here two minutes, and already I had the measure of this one. I did not like her sullen, hard  face, or her severe short hair. I did not like how tidy she looked, and I did not like how clean and scrubbed the house was. It did not bode well.

The situation I found myself in, was all of my own doing. Another bust up with Mum and her new husband Jimmy. Their constant arguing, left me worried and anxious. I did not know how to deal with it, other than running away, and living rough. At night sleeping in haylofts or barns. Eventually, cold, dirty, and hungry, I would make my way to the welfare offices, and seek out my case worker. She would then accompany me to the corporation bathhouse, for a scrub up, and a change into clean clothes. I remember the bathhouse fondly.

After the welfare officer had left, I was shown up to my room. I say my room, but it was in fact more of a small dormitory. There were four beds crammed into it. Three singles and one double.
She went to a large tallboy and pulled open a drawer. "This will be your drawer, put your things in here and keep it tidy," she instructed.
My things amounted to one change of clothes in a brown paper carrier bag. The drawer would be plenty big enough.
"You will be sleeping in the big bed," she said.
That was all right. I liked plenty of room.
She went through the house rules with me. There were a lot of them, but I stopped listening after the first couple. I had been institutionalised from a baby. I knew all the rules, I had heard them, or variations of them, many, many times.

That night I was awoken by someone climbing into bed beside me! What the..! I moved over to the furthest edge against the wall, and froze. It was pitch dark and I was disorientated. Where was the door? How could I escape this person? Was it one of the other boys?

The intruder did not touch me, or attempt to touch me. He just lay there. After a while the bed began to shake. Oh my God! Didn't he know I was there? He was masturbating! Right beside me! Get me out of here!
Just as I had decided that my only course of action was to leap out of bed shouting for help, he finished what he was doing with a loud groan. Dirty bastard! I hope he goes blind. I had always been warned that masturbation caused blindness. Would serve him right!
Soon he began to snore. I relaxed a little, but kept myself as close to the wall as I could. I slept in fits and starts, waking often, whenever he made the slightest movement.

In the early light of dawn, I stole a look at my unexpected bed fellow. He was a young, spotty faced, man in his mid twenties. Spots! They were another symptom of his dirty habit!
It suddenly occurred to me, that the reason for the double bed, was because I would be sharing with someone else. Bet my welfare officer wasn't told that!

The house was silent, apart from the sounds emanating from those asleep in the room. I slowly worked my way to the end of the bed and climbed over the end board, being careful not to disturb anyone. In the half light I dressed as quickly as I could, retrieved my carrier bag from the drawer, and carrying my boots, crept out of the room, and down the stairs.
Before putting my boots on, I searched the kitchen cupboards for food, and helped myself to half a loaf of bread, which joined my other stuff in the carrier bag. Then, boots on, I let myself out, closing the front door ever so gently behind me.

I had decided to hitch hike to London. Quite a journey for a small lad of 13 years old. Over seven hundred miles, but I thought it would be an adventure. I had two half crowns in my pocket, five shillings. That ought to keep me going for a while. That and the half loaf. It looked like being a nice day. The journey started with my favourite way of traveling. I began running, and didn't stop until I reached the outskirts of Aberdeen, and the main road out of town. Heading south.

7 comments:

  1. You poor thing. Did they come after you? Were you caught and returned? I want to know what happened next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valerie has already said what I was going to say. So ditto.

    ReplyDelete
  3. waiting patiently for part 2. I'm surprised you had the energy to run after such a dreadful night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were much braver than I was at that age. To even consider a trip like that is amazing. I guess I was too coddled but again, I had no reason to want to leave either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to go back and read all your previous posts to catch up on this incredible life you have had. Just finished reading about Sadie and her ball story...I really do think that is how dog think to themselves...us humans are so silly but they must make us happy every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a very Dickensian tale :-( I applaud you for escaping and can't wait to hear what happened next.

    ReplyDelete