Sunday 3 June 2012

On Cowboys And Queens

Our lovely Queen Elizabeth has been on the throne now for 60 years. I can remember the coronation day. I was four years old, and in a children's home. We were all given coronation mugs to mark the occasion. Very nice they were too as I recall. We were allowed to hold our mugs for a few minutes and then they were taken away for 'safe keeping'. I never saw my mug again after that. What was that all about? Search me!

A television had been installed in the housemothers room. We kids had never seen a TV before. We were very graciously allowed by the housemother, 'Auntie May', to stand, one at a time at the room door and watch a few moments of the coronation service. How kind of 'Auntie May' to allow us to see a bit of our countries history unfold! Then we were all packed off to play, while she watched the ceremony in peace.

Not sure that I really knew what the heck was going on, except that there was a lot of excitement about Elizabeth becoming Queen. It wasn't as exciting as pancake day though, or Shrove Tuesday to give it it's proper name. We got pancakes with sugar and lemon juice. Actually what we got was one pancake, but it was very nice. A bit of a wait though, for the next time Shrove Tuesday came around.

I don't know what game I was playing while her Majesty was being crowned, but it was probably cowboys and Indians, or maybe fighting Germans in a war. Most likely I would have been a cowboy, running around pretending to be on horseback and smacking my own backside with pretend reins!

Your Majesty, I'm sorry I missed most of your coronation. Blame 'Auntie May', she hogged the television to herself. Probably drinking cooking sherry while she did so. I am going to watch today's celebrations on the TV with Tricia and extremely handsome son George. Hope that makes up for your disappointment that I missed the last lot.

I love you Queen. I hope God does what we all keep asking him to do and saves you!

Oh by the way, talking about cowboys. I wanted to be one again today.

12 comments:

  1. I enjoyed that so. Tom Dooley is one of my favorite folk songs. It is based on the true story of Tom Dula (pronounced Dooley) in the Appalachian Mountains of the United States. God save the Queen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great read and loved the video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. enjoy the celebration but you may want to refrain from a repeat of the cowboy on horseback. It would really take away from the special nature of the day

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember singing 'How much is that doggy in the window' and 'She wears red feather in her hula hula skirt' at the Coronation do we had in a church hall. lol
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh I did enjoy watching the flotilla... even the rain didn't kill the hundreds of happy faces. It was fantastic show. Like you, I love our Queen and I felt quite emotional at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved your version of Tom Dooley and the cowboy outfit. Your voice seems to be improving with age. Great to hear Sonny Jim contributing to the performance. Hope Sadie and Bonnie are behaving! Say hi to Tricia and your extremely handsome son from me and our exceedingly beautiful daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We saw Hugh Laurie in concert last night; it's probably the closest we will ever be to seeing the Queen. And you may be giving him a run for his money, great video.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember that day too. We had our first TV and my dad was enthralled. I blogged about it- not sure if you saw it. But I'm confused- I saw on the news back in Feb that was the date- maybe it was the 60th anniversary of the day she became queen but not the coronation. You know we Yanks get confused about you Brits.

    http://myqualityday.blogspot.com/2012/02/potpourri.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post John! Loved your folk song!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. John, missed all your country's festivities celebrating this memorable event as we do not have any TV services, but did catch some online and read the Mail online as well...very impressive indeed. Too bad about that mug.

    ReplyDelete
  12. John,
    We had this record. I know it by heart.
    You did a great job singing it! That makes me feel sad to read that they took those mugs away from you in the children's home. Glad you enjoyed the celebrations! Look out for my future post on the Queen's Jubilee!

    ReplyDelete