Thursday 6 November 2014

What A Reception!


Just been to the surgery for a blood test. The doctors receptionist, having obviously just completed the 'how to be a doctors receptionist' course, was at her very best. Although she did at one stage - probably a trick of the light - almost give the impression of a smile.

The nurse too was as miserable as sin. I almost apologised for ruining her day and when she uttered the words, "you may feel a bit of a prick," I refused to respond in my usual hilarious way.

After the blood had been taken I returned to the receptionists desk. "I would like to make an appointment for about two weeks time," I said politely, smiling in an effort to melt her icy demeanour. It didn't work.

She glared at me, "Doctor or nurse?"

"Yes please," I said.

"Which?" she asked, looking at me as though I were a complete idiot.

"I don't know. It's to get my test results."

"Doctor"

At this stage I was becoming a bit miserable myself, "Sorry for being so stupid," I said, "and thank you for being so understanding about my lack of knowledge regarding the way things work around here." My sarcasm went right over her head.

"That's okay," she said, and actually smiled.

It was at this point that I realised that she truly did think I was an idiot.

I drove home having become as miserable as the surgery staff. However, I did cheer up considerably when - despite the frosty weather - I espied a lovely decolletage displayed by a lady of magnificent proportions.





5 comments:

  1. I do wonder why doctors don't pay more attention to the manner of their receptionists. Sounds as if that one is genuinely dim. Hope the blood test result is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no humor allowed in medical land. Period. Sober up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And they wonder why people do not want to go to the doctor. You have to be sick going in because it is certain that you will feel ill coming out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why is everyone so bloody miserable these days. Lets face it we have it good. I was born at the end of the war and can remember what it was like to have 'not much' therefore I'm grateful for the life I now have. All I hear is people moaning about illness everywhere I go, if you'll excuse the pun ' I'm sick of it' LOL
    Still, glad we ladies have the ablitiy in front of us to cheer you up.
    Briony
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. They both need people skills help....sorry you had to endure their sour attitudes.

    ReplyDelete