Wednesday 31 October 2018

Fergie Peeling Potatoes.


Another of my memories from childhood. Painted from my imagination. It was difficult working out where the light from the lamp and the fire should fall. Here is a drawing I made in preparation.





Fergie was an amazing cook. He never had any problem going to sea on the trawlers as a cook. He would also get work as a cook/saw doctor in the lumber camps.
He enjoyed peeling potatoes for some reason. I have painted him doing just that. He would sit like this a lot. Hunched over. Sitting quietly, smoking a cigarette. Perhaps he was reflecting on life? When he was sober he was a good role model. He wasn't an alcoholic but when he had money from one job or another he would binge drink to oblivion. I loved Fergie.

Fergie peeling potatoes.
Oil on canvas board.
20in x 16in


Fergie peeling potatoes.
Oil on canvas board
20in x 16in

Thanks for calling in. I am pleased you are still stopping by.




5 comments:

  1. It's a great painting, John. Wondering if Fergie would ever see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly he died in the 1960's Valerie. But always remembered strongly by me.

      Delete
  2. The painting is great. From reading your various posts and books I know that after the two of you got over resenting each other you had a close relationship. He would be honored to be remembered in such a loving way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma. This is Fergie. I think you are thinking of my stepfather Jimmy? I am planning a painting featuring Jimmy though.

      Delete
    2. You are probably right. I am getting older you know.

      Delete