Thursday, 9 August 2012

Meanqueen Comes To The Party.

Meanqueen came to visit recently, taking me up on my party invitation. I am so glad she came and I hope we shall remain friends. http://meanqueen-lifeaftermoney.blogspot.co.uk

She actually arrived on the day before the party and pitched her tent in the paddock. I had to smile because she also brought a fold up bed with her, and a mattress, and her bedding from home. It was only a small tent but she made it very comfortable. At least it looked comfortable, I never got to try it out! As you know I am a true gentleman. Such a thing never crossed my mind. Until just now that is. Trying out the bed I mean. On my own obviously. Not with Meanqueen in it. Oh blimey, I think I shall shut up about the bed! Before I get myself into trouble.
Ilona writing her blog.

Her name isn't really Meanqueen. It's Ilona, but it doesn't sound like it looks, and I couldn't get it right. Not many people can apparently. So anyway I just called her 'Oi you' most of the time. No I didn't. That's me being silly again.

We went to an open mic event that night, and I was surprised when Ilona insisted on buying the drinks, because her blog is all about saving money and living as frugally as possible. Well not all about that, but it is the basis of her blog.

I follow her blog because I am absolutely hopeless at saving, always have been, but paradoxically I am interested in how to live frugally. Anyway she insisted on buying me a drink, and when I had recovered from my faint, I accepted her kind offer. Let me tell you drinks in pubs are not cheap.

The truth about her blog is that she does not like to live beyond her means, but she is not mean at all. She has a nice car and she treats herself to the things she really enjoys. But only when she can afford them. You can read all about it here http://meanqueen-lifeaftermoney.blogspot.co.uk.

Ilona chatting to me and Alan.
It is a strange feeling to meet a fellow blogger. Here comes this person that you have never met, and yet you feel as though they are an old friend. At least that is how it seems to me. Chatting to her is so easy and relaxed. Ilona is really such a lovely person, she is just as she is on the blog. There is no other side to her, what you get is what she is. It was the same when Paul visited from New Zealand. An instant rapport is established.

The pub we went to was noisy and it was difficult to talk properly but I was able to introduce her to one or two people who would be at my party. The next day I was preoccupied with party arrangements and we never had much time to talk then either, but she did come with me to the shop when I went to get party stuff. Despite her keep saying, "You don't need that" and "You don't need this." I did manage to buy what I wanted. But I noticed she was looking at prices very keenly.

And then it was the party. I was busy mingling, but I kept an eye on her and she seemed to be having a good time. He is married by the way Ilona, that tall chap you kept next to. Don't think I didn't notice.

The next day she had arranged to meet an old friend of hers, so it was time to say goodbye. I felt genuinely sad to see her go.

Waving goodbye.
But then unexpectedly, she decided to stay one more day and she came back and spent the afternoon with me. I expect what really happened was that she found me irresistible, couldn't stay away and decided to try her luck!

This time we chatted away like old friends for several hours. Well actually she nattered away and I occasionally managed to get a word in. But it was lovely, and now I know all about her. Don't worry Ilona, your secrets are safe with me!

I don't care who knows it, I think you are lovely. Definitely not mean.

16 comments:

  1. It sounds as though you two have more in common than what's discernible on the surface. Also looks like you've had a good time. I followed her link, and you might already know about her accident with a deer. Sounds like it all turned out okay for her but not for the deer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a true gentleman, John! Was hoping to get a mention after listening so patiently to your stories. You now know what it's like struggling to get a word in. Sorry I missed your wonderful party celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice to meet another blogger and it is really cool that she came to celebrate your party with you. With all the stuff she brought she sounds a bit like Mary Poppins...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for introducing me to Ilona. I will certainly visit her blog. I can use all the help I can get trying to save a penny or two.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, lets see... ILONA is all about living a frugal life and knows how to save and spend her money, YOU are interested in living a frugal life, but need someone to teach you how to save money!

    I'd say this is a perfect example of how "opposites attract", maybe you aren't as far off as you think about her return... Hmmmmm! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am now entitled to a"Finder's Fee"..I left a message for Ilona to check you out....erm...I mean check out your blog after I had discovered your blog a while ago...she did and the rest is history!
    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm off to check her blog. Maybe I'm glad I couldn't come... much safer than being your friend! (just kidding)

    ReplyDelete
  8. And I think her blog is great too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two of my favourite bloggers in one spot. I would have been in Bloggie Heaven! Shame wherever you live is so far away from where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will head over and check out her blog. I would love to be able to meet some of my blogging friends.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are awesome and glad you had a good time with Ilona. I for sure would definitely buy you a drink at the pub, and I would definitely enjoy shooting the shit with you over a few drinks. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have only met one of my fellow bloggers and it was great. It does feel like you've known them a long time, even though you've never met. I'm happy for you, glad you got to do that twice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Meeting bloggers is certainly revealing, even when they do not want to be as 'mysterious' as myself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not really a gas bag, am I? I feel dead embarrassed now. Thsnk you for sending some people to me, I'd better get on with the job of reading all their blogs. Toodle pip

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bother, spelling error, it's late my brain has packed up :o( going to bed

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, now that's a sweet post. Glad you had a chance to meet Ilona and enjoy her company.

    ReplyDelete